Data Protection Advisor
Data Protection Advisor (INT/EXT /13122)
As an organisation dealing with intellectual property rights, data protection plays a central role in ensuring high standards in all the EPO’s internal and external relationships and communications. It is set to become even more important in view of a major digital transformation the organisation will undergo over the coming years.
We are looking for a Data Protection Advisor to join our team. We are particularly interested in candidates who thrive in an informal but professional working environment, in which the sharing of information and a pro-active approach is appreciated. If you enjoy engaging constructively with colleagues and stakeholders, based on our core values of integrity, impartiality, transparency and pragmatism, we would like to hear from you.
With us you will:
- provide advice and opinions on legal matters related to data protection
- evaluate IT infrastructure and systems for compliance with privacy and data protection laws, provide advice on privacy for large-scale IT systems, as well as assess security configurations and operation standards for IT systems and applications
- draft and/or revise documents related to privacy and data protection
- help individual staff members or teams to assess data protection risks and advise on appropriate methodology and safeguards to mitigate risks
- provide guidance on personal data breach management and reporting, including assessment of risk and impact, and establishing prevention and mitigation measures
- support the process of developing and formally adopting a new legal framework for data protection at the EPO, as well as participating in its implementation
Apply if you have:
- extensive knowledge of EU and international privacy and data protection law and experience in implementing personal data protection legislation, preferably in an international organisation or European Union institution or other public service
- proven knowledge of information technologies including technical security aspects and an understanding of their privacy and data protection impact
- a DPO certification (an asset, not a must)
- the capacity to deliver high-quality work under pressure and with tight deadlines; to make timely decisions and re-prioritise in response to changes in a dynamic environment
- an open and accessible approach, a courteous manner, a strong sense of integrity and impartiality
- well-developed negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to defend data protection principles and data subject rights within the EPO
- a diploma of completed studies at master's level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience
- an excellent command of English, in addition to knowledge of at least one other official language of the EPO (French and German) and a willingness to learn the third language
- citizenship of one of our member states
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and relevant experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews, tests and/or a personality questionnaire.
Job group: 4
Grade: G7-G10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: from EUR 5 880 to 8 330, which may be supplemented by various allowances depending on your personal circumstances)
Duration of contract: 5 years
Career path: Technical
Application deadline: 28.10.2020
Interviews planned for: calendar week 46
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes
We welcome all applications for vacant positions. We consider each on its professional merits – regardless of your nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.
Apply now by using the 'Apply' button.
Why join us?
✓ Be part of the EPO`s transformation and enable innovation
✓ Work with inspiring people from a variety of cultures
✓ Develop yourself and take on an intellectual challenge
What's in it for you?
✓ A competitive salary
✓ Family-friendly benefits
✓ A good work-life balance
✓ Relocation benefits and various allowances
✓ Contributory medical insurance and pension schemes
✓ 30 days' leave per year
Who we are
We are the patent office for Europe. We are proud to deliver high-quality patents and efficient services that foster innovation, competitiveness and economic growth.
We're currently undergoing a change inspired by a common vision: our Strategic Plan 2023. Join us on this exciting journey to a more digital, collaborative and sustainable organisation.
Our work environment
We believe that diversity is fundamental to our success. Our inclusive work environment respects, values and celebrates our individual differences. We want you to be yourself at work.