Associate General Counsel, Global Head of Trade Compliance
2 days left
- Full Time
Our client is a global player in the oil, gas & energy sector, with its worldwide HQ in Houston, TX. This role is responsible for managing the global Trade Compliance department and directing a team of trade compliance professionals around the world. This position reports to the EVP, General Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accountable for understanding and ensuring compliance with all applicable trade compliance and Customs-related laws. Extensive knowledge of U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR) of the US Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), U.S. State Department (DDTC), U.S. Treasury Office Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and other government agencies as they apply to company goods, software, technical data and services on compliance, licensing, and jurisdictional matters.
- Oversee and provide guidance on day-to-day compliance matters on Restricted Party Screening, ECCN classification, end-use/user restrictions, sanctions, export license determination and drafting license applications, and escalation matters.
- Knowledgeable in CA, EU, UK and other international sanctions and import & export regulations.
- Ensure that our client's global Trade Compliance program is fit-for-purpose to ensure compliance with international trade laws governing their operations, including those relating to all aspects of import and export, economic sanctions and anti-boycott.
- Responsible for ensuring proper adherence to import and export processes which include Export, Import, Foreign Trade Zone, Free Trade Agreements, Duty Drawback and related vendor/third-party operations/activities (Brokers, Freight Forwarders and other third parties).
- Provide thought leadership regarding global trade compliance risk trends—based on evaluation of our client's activities and incidents, coupled with industry benchmarking and regular monitoring of changes in regulatory environments—and incorporate the same into continued program development, strategy and risk mitigation efforts.
- Effectively partner with peer functions and business units as needed to ensure appropriate guidance and implementation of the Trade Compliance program, drive strategic organisational initiatives and projects, and provide day-to-day advice and counsel.
- Proactively seek out strategic trade compliance and customs planning opportunities to reduce costs and gain opportunities.
- Development, tracking, calculating and reporting of trade compliance metrics to Executive Management.
- Working with the Legal/Compliance function (and others, as appropriate) to conduct internal investigations.
- Manage a team of Trade Compliance professionals around the world and provide guidance in matters which are not limited but include HTS Classification, valuation, technology transfer controls, sanctions, customs matters, duties/taxes, boycotts inquiries, among others.
Skills, Knowledge and Qualifications:
- 15+ years of trade compliance experience, with at least a portion of the experience in an in-house environment
- Experience managing a team across cultures and time zones
- Excellent organisational, time-management and communication skills
- Understanding of the business, supply chain and Tax processes highly desirable.
- Experience in a global, dynamic and deadline driven environment.
- Juris Doctor / Law Degree
Apply for Associate General Counsel, Global Head of Trade Compliance
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly