Customer Compliance Manager (Senior Tax Professional)
At HMRC we are committed to creating a great place to work for all our colleagues; an inclusive and respectful environment that reflects the diversity of the society we serve.
We want to maximise the potential of everyone who chooses to work for us and we offer a range of flexible working patterns and support to make a fulfilling career at HMRC accessible to you.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are critical to our success and we welcome applications from all people from all backgrounds with the experience and skills needed to perform this role.
About the Customer Compliance Group & Large Business:
HMRC's Customer Compliance Group (CCG) plays a pivotal role in maximising the collection of the correct amount of money due from UK taxpayers, investigating breaches and offences against the tax system, and acting to identify and mitigate potential threats.
Large Business (LB) is responsible for HMRC's compliance work with the largest and most complex business customers, businesses which account for some 40% of HMRC's annual revenues. Our strategy is applied to the UK's 2,000 most complex businesses, we subject these businesses to an exceptional level of scrutiny and are actively investigating around half of them at any one time.
This is an exciting and challenging time to be part of Large Business. The taxation of multinationals remains the focus of keen media and Parliamentary interest. You will join one of the largest Civil Service departments and work in a fast paced and dynamic environment where you will be supported to provide high quality services.
Our Customer Compliance Managers (CCMs) are experienced tax professionals and oversee HMRC's compliance activities and the relationship between the business and HMRC across all applicable taxes and duties. This includes being accountable and responsible for:
- Relationship Management: managing the response to complex queries and clearance applications from the customer to ensure they are handled in a timely fashion, meeting agreed deadlines.
- Risk assessment: preparing an integrated risk assessment for the business and sharing the HMRC view of risk with the customer.
- Risk working and Real time working: carrying out Compliance Checks (for example, enquiries and systems audits).
- Travel and overnight stays may be required across the UK.
- This role does not include any direct line management.
- The CCM role is an excellent opportunity to build experience as a route into HMRC's senior grades.
- We are looking to appoint two candidates immediately and create a reserve list to draw from over the coming months.
As a Customer Compliance Manager you will be responsible for the delivery of the Large Business Customer Strategy. You will do this by managing the relationship between large business customers and HMRC across all taxes and duties, ensuring the right amount of tax is paid at the right time and that any risks are identified and appropriately managed. You will:
- Establish, build and maintain professional relationships with key senior customers across tax and business responsibilities.
- Develop a deep understanding of the customer and their business drivers including attitudes to risk and compliance, influencing their thinking and approach to tax.
- Lead a team of tax and other professionals in assessing and dealing with tax risk in Large Business, identifying opportunities to educate customers and address potential compliance issues before they arise.
- Carefully manage complex, sensitive and potentially challenging reputational issues.
- Prepare an integrated risk assessment for the business and work collaboratively in planning any future interventions, ensuring that they fully reflect and are appropriate to the risks of the business.
- Ringmaster all communications and interventions, bringing in HMRC specialists, ensuring successful delivery of outcomes.
- You are a tax professional, having recent compliance experience working on complex tax issues.
- You have experience of building the capability of yourself and others in a compliance environment.
- You have experience of influencing through written and verbal communications.
- Recent experience of leadership in multi-disciplinary tax teams.
- A formal qualification in Direct or Indirect Tax such as:
- HMRC Tax Specialist Programme.
- AIIT (including paper 4).
- CCAB membership.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Learning and development tailored to your role
- An environment with flexible working options
- A culture encouraging inclusion and diversity
- A Civil Service pension
Team members that are moving offices as a result of the Locations Programme will be entitled to a Moves Adjustment Payment for three years where they incur additional costs. This is calculated based on the difference between the costs of travelling to and from the new and old office, over a weekly period. You will get more detail on this as part of targeted locations move communications.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Tuesday 17th May 2022.